Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Why I don't like Powerpoint

Those of you who have observed my presentation these days would notice that I am more comfortable using flip-charts than powerpoint slides.

The reason is very simple.

Using powerpoint slides constrain me, flip-charts give me the flexibility. One of the NLP presuppositions is this: there are no resistant audience, only inflexible communicators.

While powerpoint has its advantages, it usually restrict you during the presentations. I find that using powerpoint, you will often need to adhere to a certain script. That is find if you are presenting a paper to an audience of hundreds and there are no interactions between you and the audience.

However, if you want to connect with the audience, then powerpoint slides don't do it. Instead I find using flip-charts help me connect with my audience and also it gives me the flexibility to customize my presentation according to how the audience respond.

In order to do this effectively, there are five things that you need to do. First, you must have the wealth of information, knowledge, and content to begin with. Only when you have that can you then tailor the presentation accordingly.

Next, you must be able to provide an overview of your presentation in a manner that the audience can visualize. Once you have a visual representation of your presentation, you are already painting a picture of the desired state that you want to lead your audience to.

The third thing is to then go back to current situation and describe what are the existing situation like. With that description, you will now able to bridge the gap between the current and desired state.

And the final thing to do is to "walk" the audience through those steps again; from current, to bridging, to desired state.

Of course, while doing that you must listen carefully to the audience and then offer the content accordingly. That is why your wealth of information, knowledge, and content of your subject matter is the number one thing you must have.

Your friend,
Melvyn
(Sent from my Blackberry Bold)

No comments: