Thursday, July 24, 2008

Leadership Compass Part I

I thought the metaphor of using a compass fits squarely with the identity and responsibilities of a leader. One of the schools we are working with once asked me how would I define "leadership".

Without a second thought I said, "two words"; influence and integrity. I mentioned influence because based on the works of John C. Maxwell, he proposes the idea that a leader is someone who is in the position to influence. I added integrity because someone like Hitler certainly has influence but integrity, he has not.

As I go through some other literature such as "The Speed of Trust" by Stephen M.R. Covey, he proposes the idea that having integrity is but only one part of the equation. He says, in order for someone to trust you, so you can influence them, you must also have competence. He went on to site examples which I can definitely relate to. My wife certainly trust me, but not in the area of cutting her hair! That competency I have not. So in this respect, she does not entrust her crowning glory to me.

No comments: