Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Don't Eat The Last (Siew Mai) Donut

I saw this lady reading this book on the train. Out of curiosity, I google-d it and found out it is a book about social etiquette at a business meal setting. Some key notes include, always pass the salt and pepper together (boy, am I guilty of this one in the past), order something easy to eat like fish and chips (and be accused of being unimaginative - but I like my fish!), break your bread into small pieces (that one I know; visualize you just stuffed a huge piece and need to speak!), and never wear a napkin around the neck; that's for babies (just watch out for that Calvin Klein tie in the soup).

Interesting pointers that some of us already knew (whether we practice it is another thing all together) and some we never knew (I swear I never knew about the salt and pepper).

Before I head out to consult my image consultant (there is 1 celebrated image consultant that seems to remember me though we've never conducted any business dealings before), let me, ahem, attempt a few tips here based on an Asian setting. And of course invite anyone who has additional pointers or notes to share it here.

1) Look out for where you sit. Always take the best seat in the house. So that your prospect would not be distracted by who's walking in or out of the restaurant. Of course its not always possible, so get a private room, or order your food in such a way that it comes in gradually.

2) Don't even think about ordering a laksa! Unless of course you fancy little stains of laksa gravy as designs on your Hugo Boss white shirt!

3) Don't pour vinegar into a saucer for dipping. The smell irritates most people unless you need to mask your prospect's body odour.

4) Pass both the pepper and vinegar together for the shark's fins. Boy, is this an original thought or what?!

I can't think of anymore at this point. Any takers?

No comments: