Monday, November 24, 2008

Live by the sword, die by the sword

I've been plagued by this thought that you've gotta be successful before you have the 'right' to talk about success.

Well, I've thought about it and am approaching it from a different point of view.

Sometime back, as I listened to Tony Robbins' Lesson in Mastery, he mentioned about conducting yourself as if you are already a public figure.

I think he has a valid point. His rationale for saying that is, if you conduct yourself as if you're already a public figure, then you would always be consistent with what you say you are. In short, walk the talk.

As I blog regularly about issues, opinions, and my perspectives; some people come to expect that my behaviors are consistent with what I write.

In a sense, there is added pressure as you would want be consistent with what you write. Meaning to say, we will practice what we preach.

There are some who doubt what people like Robbins teaches, or whether Obama will be the man that he says he is. Or they might say that Covey is more authentic as he does not claim to be perfect.

I think in a way, we are not being fair, by expecting someone who says one thing but does another. We are all humans and humans err. No doubt. I believe that while we blog about issues like what I discuss, we are, by no means perfect or always doing the right things.

Granted, if I blog about "engaged mastery" but consistently do not demonstrate in the way I behave, then it is only fair to say that I do not practice what I preach.

However, if under certain circumstances I slip and do not behave in the way that I say I would, though in most cases I am consistent, then I firmly believe that I should be given some leeway.

Don't get me wrong, I am not finding excuses to give myself an exit clause. What we are talking about is being consistent.

You see, if someone slips from time to time, we ought not be too quick to judge. However if that someone deviate most of the time, then judgement is deemed fair.

There were times when people come up to me and say, you did not do what you said you would do. Yes, I acknowledge it. My sense is, as long as I am aware of it, and am looking at how I can do better the next time, I don't see what's the fuss. However if I deny and say that my actions were justified, while at the same time refusing to make improvements then I think I deserve the boot.

In a sense, it is like all public figures. Everyone is out to catch them with their hands in the cookie jar. Or people who are too quick to judge. Is it fair? Are we out to 'catch' them? Or should we give them the due respect?

I believe it this way.

We who dared to make a commitment publicly should be given a chance. We lay our claims about how or what we should do. Having said that, we should be taken to task should we consistently fail to deliver.

How does one get stronger, mind or character? It is during this testing times. Under normal circumstances, or in a non-challenged environment of course we are able to live by our values. It is easy. But it is when trying times happen that's when if we stick to our guns and still choose to live by those values, that's when our character gets stronger. Yes, we may waiver under pressure too, but we must then have the guts to admit our mistakes and move on.

I think, when we have made a commitment to live by a certain set of values; when we come under attack and still chose to live by those values, we emerge stronger in our character. That's what building character is all about.

But if we slipped, we must then also be open about it and readily admit our mistakes, ask for forgiveness, say how we will do it differently in future, and move on.

And for those of us who might be too quick to judge, let us be a little more kind and be prepared to give others another chance.

So it is two-way.

Besides, with the internet this is how we can either succeed in a big way or fail miserably. Because netizens would be quick, and merciless in making their judgements about us. Hence, it gives us a chance to work on our character and emerge stronger.

Finally as a parting shot, I appreciate and owe a great deal of gratitude to all those who gave me this opportunity to strengthen my character. Thank you...

No comments: