Thursday, March 12, 2009

Passion... Hmm... How can you tell?

It is said that if we are passionate about what we do, we need not fear, as the money will follow.

That is probably the biggest lie ever told.

Passion, like many other attributes, are difficult to describe; let alone quantify. And if you can't quantify that, then how can you tell? How do you measure it, and how do append a dollar value to it?

Many people know that I am passionate about my work but can I tell my clients that, "look, because I am so passionate about what I do, you need to pay me $x for my work and pay me an extra $y for my passion?" I'd probably be shown out of the door, if not thrown out.

So, first how can you tell when you see someone who is passionate about their work? I believe you would see these characteristics of courage, learning and growth, excellence, innovativeness and creativity, and abundance.

I'm sorry if some of you think I am trying to sell you something, but it is something I truly believe in.

Courage stems from not just doing things right but more importantly, doing the right thing. I mean, I could be passionate about destroying the world or eliminating the Jews (like Hitler) but unless I do the right thing; nothing else matters. I will not see sustenance and also it would be self-destructive.

So, first we must be prepared to do the right thing and what the right things are depend on your mission in life. As for me, my mission or purpose in life (up till this point; why I say up till this point is that overtime as I review I may change or modify it) is to resolve to live each day according to the Principles of Engaged Mastery to be a leader who engages with integrity. I see integrity as my moral compass, of telling me what is right and what is wrong.

Right and wrong can be subjective, but if we see right and wrong in terms of principles or natural laws; then it is anything but subjective. Because you can ignore these principles but they won't ignore you. Much like the natural law of gravity; as long as you are on earth; you can choose to ignore gravity by walking out of the window of a skyscraper but gravity will act on you and bring you down to earth.

We'll continue with the rest in our next discussion.


Respectfully yours,
Melvyn Tan
(Sent from my Blackberry Bold)

No comments: